Sunday, December 23, 2012

I spoke too soon.

It's been a while since I posted last. I guess it's been a busy couple of weeks. I'm working in a new section at work and that involves me doing a lot of researching so that has been keeping me from realizing how fast this month has flown by! I don't even know where the last three weeks have gone.

The day after my last post I got a phone call from KC. He was in the hospital. He's ok, but he had a piece of shrapnel from a grenade go through his leg near his knee. It lodged really deep into his leg. Up into the bone marrow deep. I'm so thankful he is ok, but was a slightly freaked out because I had just posted an entry about how I was feeling better about the whole situation, and how I was missing him more than usual though. While I was writing about that, he was going into surgery and I had no idea. I try not to put much thought into this, but it's hard not to. It makes me feel more cautious when saying things. It's almost like I don't want to jinx him. After I went through the slew of questions making sure this was a short term injury I felt a little better, and lets face it: he won't be out with all his guys for a while so I feel he's a bit removed from chaos. For these few weeks that he's recovering I can breathe a little easier. I hope this is the only injury he has to deal with for the rest of the time he's there. We hit the 1/3 mark a few days back. It feels good to finally be getting time under our belts and making progress on getting closer to him coming home.

I went out to lunch with an Army wife yesterday, and let me just say how amazing it felt to hang out with her for a couple of hours! I'm pretty sure I had diarrhea of the mouth with all the things I haven't been able to talk to anyone for the last three months, but she was so great and let me get it all out. Her husband is coming home from his nine month deployment in less than a month (SO jealous and excited for her at the same time!).  We spent the entire time talking about our soldiers and everything Army. Seems a little overkill? Not when you're me and you have no other girlfriends who are involved in the military. I felt like a total weight had been lifted off my chest. It was so awesome to have your thoughts and feelings validated by someone who is in the same situation as you. I feel less like a crazy person now :-) I really hope I can meet more amazing milspouses/girlfriends in the future because I think that's the only way I'll keep my sanity!



No comments: