Saturday, August 3, 2013

Let's Talk Zucchini (Recipes!)

I was super mature 6 years ago..
 Back when I was a recent high school graduate ( ok, really somewhere between the ages of 18-20) my lovely friend Kate brought me the most enormous Zucchinis from her father's garden. We tasked ourselves with using every bit of that zucchini before it went bad. I was so tired of this vegetable by the time we went through all the massive ones her dad passed along to us. We made about 10 loaves of bread, and enough fried zucchini to satisfy an elephant!

Kate and I with the newest batch o zuchs!
However...this was many years ago (at least 5!), and when word was surfacing that these things had been grown in a certain lady's dad's garden, I wanted to get my hands on them. Katie my lady knows me well, and delivered the goods promptly. I'm pretty sure this years harvest is wayy larger than the ones from years back, but I'll let you see the evidence and be the judge of that...

Zucchini that is as big as my cat!
So here I am, faced with the dilemma of what to do with all this zuc once again. It isn't a terrible problem to have, but it is a situation. The invention of Pinterest has been the best thing to happen since the last time I got these huge mama jammas! SO MANY RECIPES. So far I have made a healthy bread, and Zucchini yachts. Today we're going to talk about the Yachts!


Normally these bad boys would be called zucchini boats, but due to the situation of my large veggie, I thought it appropriate to rename them yachts (I don't want to down play their enormous-ness!). They are super easy to make and are pretty dang yummy too. Let's get to the recipe:

Zucchini Yachts (or boats for those of you that have to buy them at the store)

What you'll need:
Zucchini
1lb Ground Turkey
1 Onion
1-2 cloves Garlic
1TBS Italian Seasoning
Salt and Pepper
Optional:
Multi color peppers 
Cheese
  
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
2. Cut your Zuchs lengthwise and scoop out the middle so you can put all the good stuff in the middle!
3. Spray them with olive oil and place them in a baking dish. Place them in the oven and bake until a fork easily goes in
4. Time to prep the insides. 
5. Place ground turkey, chopped onions, garlic, and whatever other ingredients you want to add in. I used some red, yellow, and orange peppers that I needed to use up.
6. Season with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
7. Cook meat until done
8. Once zucchini is almost all the way cooked, scoop turkey mix into zucchini, and sprinkle with cheese
9. Place back in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes
10. ENJOY!!


More recipes to follow. Feel free to post links to any zucchini recipes you know!

Happy weekend, y'all!
 photo redheadsiggy_zps8cb2bb54.png

No comments: