Friday, September 21, 2012

The countdown begins

As a friend put it: Keep running this quote through your head every day until he returns.


Deployment happened today. Talk about a whole day of changing emotions! When we first got to the airfield to do the send off I was fine. When I say fine I mean not crying. :-) My stomach was in knots, and I was pretty quiet, and any one who knows me knows I'm not a quiet person. I had a lot to take in today. I hadn't been to a military base since I was a lot younger. Driving around and seeing where KC spends his days was good to see, it's a world in itself that I have never experienced before. I couldn't believe all that it has to offer. We drove by an arts and crafts building on post and I got all excited about it! I had no idea that a military base would have such a thing! Now I really want to know what they have in that building. If any one knows, please pass on the info..all I can think is there has to be a lot of glitter.

The main thing to take in today was experiencing a deployment for the first time in my life. It all seemed to go so quickly. There was a lot of running around on KC's part, but he always made it quick and would apologize that he had to run off to do something. Now that I think back on it, it was really so sweet that he was so concerned about me and not being left alone. I met a bunch of the guys that were going or were just there for helping with the send off. They were also concerned that they didn't take any time away from KC and I saying our goodbyes. It was so polite and unexpected. Once we had to say our final goodbyes is the time it got sad.


My chalkboard countdown frame (from Laura over at http://www.etsy.com/shop/afstrykerwife) was waiting at my door when I got home from seeing off KC..talk about GOOD timing!

When I began my journey back to my house I didn't even realize that I was traveling the wrong direction on the freeway for ten minutes! Once I finally got on the right path I started to feel a little better. I began thinking about my plans for the evening and this weekend. If I keep myself busy I won't have time to think about it was my logic. It worked for awhile until my evening was winding down and I was headed back to my place tonight. I started to feel so empty and lonely. It's just me and the cat watching Army wives now. This is my way to try and feel better. I've gotten some texts and messages from friends sending their regards; offering to hang out. I felt good when my one girlfriend (who's hubby is currently deployed) said she wanted to get together. I feel I will get comfort in the one friend I have who is in my same spot. It makes me want to scream/freak out when I think of how many days there are ahead of me before I get to be in the arms of KC again, but I'm sure as hell I'm going to do whatever it takes to make those days go by fast.
After our delicious fondue dinner on his last night. KC always makes the funniest faces!

No comments: