Tuesday, March 19, 2013

ELIMINATION (diet)

The title sounds pretty intense, right?

A couple of months ago I started seeing a nutritionist because I found out that my insurance charges me exactly ZERO dollars to see one as often as I'd like. I love when I discover things I can do to better myself that cost me nothing. These days it becomes harder and harder to find, but I digress..

When we first met I discussed the fact that I never really lose/gain weight, portions were fuzzy to me, and some sort of food allergy had to be going on because sometimes I feel SO uncomfortable after eating. We met once a week for a few weeks. She put me on a 5 meals (or mini meals) a day plan. I was told to make sure at every meal/snack to include protein. I was also to cut out any starchy foods after lunch time. At first this was kind of a hassle, but I started to meal plan and pack lunches and snacks with me to take to work. After about a month of following this plan, my nutritionist dropped the new plan on me.

THE ELIMINATION DIET.

Sounds scary, but it wasn't all that bad when I started looking into it. Although I did cry a little on the inside when I was told that I wouldn't be able to drink coffee or alcohol. That's usually how my day begins and ends. With coffee then wine :-) For three weeks you cut out a bunch of foods and then slowly re-introduce them into your diet to see how you react to them. This is supposed to be one of the best ways to determine food allergies. Even more so than allergy tests. I'm not usually a diet kind of person, but I think the fact that this is short term and has helpful results made me willing to give it a try. I really hope to see some results whether it be weight loss or pin pointing food allergies.

Have you ever heard of the elimination diet or tried it yourself?

 photo redheadsiggy_zps8cb2bb54.png

No comments: